Joerg Sonnenberger <jo...@britannica.bec.de> wrote:

> The use of (g)roff for anything but man pages is practically non-existent.

False.  Its a production tool used here.
        http://berklix.com./associates/
        http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/cv/#card     ( Try .PS card back X3 size
All business letters, bills, business cards, ID cards,
cdrom labels here use groff.

There's guys recently wrote me from Germany developing groff macros
for .de iso standard business letters to the new standard.

Charlie Kester <corky1...@comcast.net> wrote

> Yes, I understand that troff-style typesetting has mostly been abandoned
> in favor of WYSIWYG editing.

My patches for FreeBSD groff, ghostview etc, with wysiwyg
published on the web & running fine for maybe 10 years. Share & enjoy.

Each time I hit :w in my xterm editing [groff], the adjacent ghostview
(or chimera) redisplays
        http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/wysiwyg.shar.asc

Cheers,
Julian