On 26/05/10 10:21, Eitan Adler wrote:
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Matthew Jacob<m...@feral.com>  wrote:
On 5/25/2010 9:52 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

On 5/25/10 8:33 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:

No. Do not remove groff or associated tools from /usr/src !
Roff has been in Unix /usr/src since '77 or earlier.
A lot of people use tools from that descendancy as production tools.

So? If it isn't a very commonly used tool and isn't necessary for 99%
of cases I don't seem the harm of removing it from base and making it
a port?

BSD has always  been ab;e to produce it's documentation as part of its
build

Please keep this true.

This is what mdocml will be for. I never advocated removing the
utilities required for building documentation from the base - just the
soon to be superfluous groff utility (once the GSOC project is done).

There are several pieces of documentation in the FreeBSD tree which use macro packages other than mdoc and man, which are all mdocml (currently) supports - see the contents of /usr/share/doc/papers for example. groff is used for more than just manpages, even in the base system.

-James Butler