On 13 May 2013 10:53, Paul LeoNerd <leon...@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
> [I'm not currently on the list so please forgive the manually-crafted
> reply]
>
>> I'm confused as to why this is still an issue. Sure, fix the kqueue
>> semantics and do it in a way that doesn't break backwards
>> compatibility.
>
> I suggested that. Add a user->kernel flag
>
>   EV_DROPWATCH
>
> which, if present, causes kernel to send back to userland events with
> the kernel->user flag
>
>   EV_DROPPING
>
> any time it drops the pointer. Then trivially userland just has to set
> that flag on all its events to the kernel, and remember to send those
> events back to userland when it does in fact drop them.

Cool!

Ok. I'll go bring this up at bsdcan and see what people think. I
haven't been knee deep in this stuff for a few years (but am about to
again, damned HTTP proxies!)  and I would love to have better
semantics here.

I just want to make sure it doesn't cause weird things for the
non-socket case - ie, files (local, NFS) and signals.

Adrian