>Device Drivers
>--------------
>I donīt like binary only device drivers. The code of an operating
>system is more complex than a driver. if a company does not want to
>publish the sourcecode, the should go away.

You've lost all credibility here. Well supported device drivers should not
require source. I'd prefer a commercial (preferably the manufacters)
support other than some guy in the ural mountains who fixes things IF he
can get a card with a problem and IF he can duplicate the problem and IF
hes a good enough coder to get it done.

case and point: How many of us are sitting on our hands waiting for DG to
have time to fix the latest snafu in the if_fxp driver? You cant blame  him
for having a job and earning a living, but the fact is that only he has
enough experience with the part to do the job. We all have source, but who
wants to spend a couple of weeks learning the intricacies of a very complex
part to fix what amounts to a very small bug?

You NEED source in linux and freebsd and the like because manufacturers
dont support their cards for these OSs and the drivers are a continuous
work in progress. Drivers are fixed only AFTER a problem with a new
revision part is encountered, which undermines a companies abiltiy to do
its work and to  have confidence that they will have a solution in the future.

I'd take a driver disk with a binary driver with each shipment of cards ANY
DAY over having to cross my fingers that the current FreeBSD driver works
with them.

Drivers written in linux and freebsd, for example, are often "guesses" of
how things work because exact documents are not available. The concept that
some programmer, as good as he may be, working in his spare time on a
driver without full documentation is more desirable than code provided by
the manufacturer  is so short-sighted that is illustrates that the author
has no concept of reality.

"hacker mentality" is not mainstream. 98% of people dont have a clue what
to do with source code. They want products that just work. Your
recommendation, if you make such a recommendation regarding "source over
binary", suits your own requirements and not that of your client or readers
and shows very poor judgement.

DB