In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "SteveB" wri
tes:
>With commercial software (well at least the places I worked) nothing
>could go out the door without a complete QA cycle performed on it.

Yes.  This is why the open systems have "releases" every so often; a
release has been run through something more like a QA cycle.  The QA
cycle is where the naive fools run "-current" believing it will have
"new features".  :)

>Even the smallest of bug fixes couldn't be released without a QA
>cycle.  A full QA cycle was time consuming and expensive, so fixes sat
>until there was a stack of them to QA'd as a group or they had to wait
>until next upgrade. That way we knew state of the product.  Yes, the
>state of the product would include known bugs. The key was a known bug
>and a known documented bug was as valuable as a fix.  Sure a bug is
>bad, but if it is documented you don't waste trying to make something
>work that is known to be broke.

But you can't *do* anything.  Imagine a known bug "doesn't run on Pentium
or later systems".  That's pretty much totally crippling now.

The important point is that you get the choice.  You can run a stable release,
with known bugs, or you can run slightly less tested code which fixes them.

>So who is testing these fixes in open source world?  Just seeing if
>the problem at hand is gone isn't real testing, even claiming
>thousands of people are now using it isn't enough.  There can still be
>lurking potentially data destroying bugs lurking.

Yes.  But that's just as true of a full QA cycle.  Safety, in software,
is an analogue signal, not a digital one.  My experience (and I admit,
I'm mostly from a NetBSD background) is that -current releases are
dramatically more reliable, and less buggy, than commercial software.

Testing, alone, does not catch bugs.  *Analysis* does, and one of the
things the open source community shines at is having a fix *analyzed*
by a number of people.

>In the open source
>world is there a official QA process or group.  Is there a FreeBSD
>test suite that releases go through.  QA is unglamorous work, but
>needs to be done.

I don't know about the "official" process, but I will tell you that I'd
rather have my life depend on FreeBSD-current than on Windows NT, despite
the "QA cycle".

There are many ways to do effective QA.

-s