Developers shouldn't do their own QA they will miss things.
They are too close to the code. You need another set of
eyes to check things out. Places I've been developer's had a White Box
QA engineer to work with early on. They wrote the test beds, setup
development environments, tested pieces as developed, and would do
some of the debugging for the developer. White Box QA were usually
future developers and it helped train them. Then as the projects take
shape the Black Box QA testers come in to do their bam-bam thing
simulating users. Then building install programs and managing beta and
burning the official release disks.  Do you really want developers to
be involved in all that?

A good QA team save everyone time to focus on their own jobs.

Steve B.