Just a comment on this...

I used to work for a pretty big Unix OS vendor in the operating systems
development group.  90% of the bug fixes I applied were never found by
the QA group (otherwise they would have been fixed long before I ever
worked there :-).  Where they really found problems were cross-platform
problems.  E.g.  I committed a change, tested it on platform X & Y and
it worked just fine.  It failed to build on legacy platform Z.  Building
and testing on platform Z was near impossible, so as a developer, unless
you were actually fixing a problem for platform Z, you never did it.
After being bit a couple of times, I automated a script that did the
cross-build, and never got bit again, but most people didn't do that.
Heck, a major part of the QA group was dedicated to making sure the
documentation was correct (not a bad thing, but it didn't help
the actualy state of the software).

Our -current works pretty much like the QA we had at this company.
Most machines ran what we call -stable.  All development machines (and
there were a lot) ran -current, and a few ran a couple of releases back,
just in case we had to fix something in that release.

Knowing how many people actually run -current, I would say we have
better testing than the OS company I worked for.  Even though we don't
have a real "QA" dept.

-Mike

--
Mike Pritchard