On Sep 06 at 17:17, Nate Lawson spoke:

> You can do this by connecting a second serial cable for a console between
> your host and target or by using the remotechat option and a single cable.
> Once you have the serial console, option ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER allows you
> to initiate a break using your terminal emulator's "send break" command.

My remote host is a laptop with only one sio port. So if it would be
possible with a single serial connection I'd appreciate it.

I have played a little with remotechat but with strange results.
If I set remotechat before `target remote /dev/cuaa0' the latter
fails.
If I set remotechat after `target remote' but before continuing
ctl-alt-esc on the target host doesn't work anymore.
Only garbage appears in the remote gdb.
Also ctl-c in gdb doesn't achieve anything. Only after three ctl-cs
I can detach gdb.

I have now also added option ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER but that doesn't
help either nor does the sequence CR~^b in gdb.
(I want to interrupt the target host while X is active.)

> If the hang is not a system hang, the console break will have an effect.
> But if the kernel is so hung that the keyboard doesn't work, the remote
> serial console will not do you any better.  In this case you need a box
> with a real console (i.e. Sun).

I won't by a Sun. I'm just hoping the hang is not a system hang. :-)

-Hanspeter