Hi,

Matthew D. Fuller wrote on Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:58:11AM -0600:
[..]
> And, further, some of us don't have (and don't want) CD burners, and even
> if we had 'em, don't want to burn (no pun intended ;) a CD blank just to
> install an OS, when we can just (re-)use 2 floppies and do it across the
> LAN from a local FTP mirror, which is as fast as a CD drive anyway.

That's no point, as you can use a CD-RW, so no media is wasted.
Install over LAN is done anyway, as Scott mentioned only the
basic boot/install-strap is put into the emulated image.

However, I second the point, that there is recent hardware around
which cannot have a CD-Drive attached, but a floppy drive, because
of space constraints.

On the other hand, I guess such systems are able to boot over
the network. I'd love to see a integrated boot and installation
procedure that utilizes PXE (or any other network boot method)
and advocates it. (In this regard I just love Suns).

my 0.02€,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                 - Work is for people, who don't surf -
 Daniel Lang * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/