Brooks Davis wrote:
I think it would be really cool if someone would add a feature to
disk 1 to become a PXE install server.  It should be fairly straight
forward other then dealing with sysinstall.

I presume the above means a PXE *client*. This would be cool, but by no means trivial. I looked at this in the past when I wanted to network boot FreeBSD on a couple of machines that did not support a boot ROM and reached a dead end; I ended up using PicoBSD and NFS-mounting most of the stuff.

Following Brook's suggestion, I looked around to see how difficult a PXE client project would be. Here are some bullets and pointers:

- What we would need is a PXE emulator. PXE stands for Portable Execution *Environment*, and it really does supply a (primitive) but not trivial environment used to bootstrap the code.

- Microsoft supplies with its Remote Installation Server (RIS) a program (rbfg.exe) that creates such an emulation floppy. This PXE emulator only supports PCI cards. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242920

- Apparently the same product, but with additional functionality, is sold by Argon Technologies. See http://www.argontechnology.com/rbfg/index.shtml

- An open-source project called pxe-toolkit aimed at providing examples of PXE client and server code. The project seems to have dissappeared from the face of the earth. Its homepage on freshmeat and a download page on savannah are dead; a page with links on http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pxe-toolkit does not contain any useful pointers.

- The PXE specification (2.1) is freely available from Intel in PDF format (500K, 103 pages). See ftp://download.intel.com/labs/manage/wfm/download/pxespec.pdf

- Implementing a PXE client from scratch is obviously doable, but not trivial. One problem is that the API is 16-bit, so we would have to use 16-bit development tools, libraries, and an execution environment. The client should support a DHCP client, preboot functionality, and an API. The API consists of 37 relatively high-level functions providing TFTP, UDP, and UNDI (Universal Network Driver Interface) functionality. Here is a list to give you a rough idea of the functionality that has to be provided:

UNLOAD_STACK, GET_CACHED_INFO, RESTART_TFTP, START_UNDI, STOP_UNDI,
START_BASE, STOP_BASE, TFTP_OPEN, TFTP_CLOSE, TFTP_READ, TFTP_READ_FILE,
TFTP_GET_FSIZE, UDP_OPEN, UDP_CLOSE, UDP_WRITE, UDP_READ, UNDI_STARTUP,
UNDI_CLEANUP, UNDI_INITIALIZE, UNDI_RESET_ADAPTER, UNDI_SHUTDOWN,
UNDI_OPEN, UNDI_CLOSE, UNDI_TRANSMIT, UNDI_SET_MCAST_ADDRESS,
UNDI_SET_STATION_ADDRESS, UNDI_SET_PACKET_FILTER, UNDI_GET_INFORMATION,
UNDI_GET_STATISTICS, UNDI_CLEAR_STATISTICS, UNDI_INITIATE_DIAGS,
UNDI_FORCE_INTERRUPT, UNDI_GET_MCAST_ADDRESS, UNDI_GET_NIC_TYPE,
UNDI_GET_IFACE_INFO, UNDI_GET_STATE, UNDI_ISR.

I hope this information helps if anyone wants to take it up from here.

Diomidis
--
Diomidis Spinellis                      Assistant Professor
Department of Management Science and Technology      (DMST)