On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:48:24PM +0200, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
> >I think it would be really cool if someone would add a feature to
> >disk 1 to become a PXE install server.  It should be fairly straight
> >forward other then dealing with sysinstall.
>
> I presume the above means a PXE *client*.  This would be cool, but by no
> means trivial.  I looked at this in the past when I wanted to network
> boot FreeBSD on a couple of machines that did not support a boot ROM and
> reached a dead end; I ended up using PicoBSD and NFS-mounting most of
> the stuff.

No, I mean a server.  The hard part about using PXE to install a box is
setting up the other box to boot the box your are installing on.  It's
not all the difficult, but it require a bit of knowledge, some grunt
work, and a reasionable UNIX-like machine to start from.  What I propose
is adding enough stuff to disk 1 that you can do pxe installs like this:

 - find a random box with a cdrom drive and a supported nic
 - boot the install cd
 - select the "make me an install server" option from the menu
 - select an interface and configure it (or take a nice 10-net default)
 - pxe boot the boxes you want to install on and install over the network
 - shutdown the server, returning it to its previous function

-- Brooks