[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ %> pkg_info | wc -l -[19:49]-
     917

Really portupgrade becomes clearly not so usable for me after I switch to Xorg 7.2RC which install 300 more packages, my workstation is a xSeries 226 with a Xeon 2,8Ghz 1Go DDR2. So I can imagine what it does on a laptop...

This issue is not only related to portupgrade, pkg_add a new port takes far too long now... and make index each time I upgrade my ports is awfull too.

"Someone has to do something" (tm)

Regards,

Le 14 févr. 07 à 19:36, Coleman Kane a écrit :

On 2/14/07, John Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 12:41, David Gilbert wrote:
> I have 734 ports installed on my laptop right now. I'm pretty sure,
> at times, I've had over 1000 ports on my laptop.
>
> On machine with moderate numbers of ports (most servers seem to have > 50 to 200 ports), portupgrade takes a moderate amount of time to start > work. On machines like my laptop, portupgrade seems to take much more
> time to run.  I assume it's solving the dependency graph before it
> decides what to upgrade first, but is this truly a O(n^2) problem? It
> seems like the implemented algorithm is O(n^2).

Just a "me too". I noticed a huge increase in time for portupgrade when I started using the modular Xorg ports tree and upgraded to X.org 7.2RC. The number of installed ports on my machine went from just over 300 to well
over
600 as a result of the upgrade. Specifying small numbers of ports (without
globbing) to portupgrade doesn't seem to take much more time,
but "portupgrade -a" or anything similar takes forever now. If there is an optimization to be made there it would be good to do it before modular
xorg
hits the official tree.

JN

I've also had this problem. I have found that if I perform a "portsdb -U && pkgdb -F" every time following a cvsup that portupgrade doesn't try to go
through the full ports indexing steps again.

It is still slow, and any improvement that can be made should be. It is already a significant enough pain that most ports build in a shorter amount
of time than it takes portupgrade to update its database.

--
Coleman Kane

Olivier Warin