On Tue, 15 May 2007, Tom Evans wrote:

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 11:23 -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
Peter Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [Linux package systems]
> > As far as I know, none of them handle updates from source at all. In
> > fact, dealing with sources seems to be a noticable weakness for them.
> This pretty much rules them out then.
It would, if it were true.  It isn't.

Except it is.

apt-get --build source package_name

That doesn't update from sources, that just builds a package. You're
still stuck updating from packages.

Further, like the rpm command, this doesn't deal with dependencies,
other than to complain if they aren't met. This means that using it to
deal with sources is about as pleasant as using rpm to install binary
packages.  Further, there doesn't appear to be anything like make.conf
to make it easy to tailor the build process to meet the users
requirements.

        <mike

Of course Gentoo does do this [updating from source], being as it is a
rip-off of freebsd ports. I haven't used it since the (fairly) early
days when portage was written as a series of bash scripts. I'm fairly
sure they must have improved it since then - it made portupgrade look
positively snappy. Unsurprisingly, everything was/is controlled by
adding options (mainly USE_FLAGS - eg '+gtk2 -kde') to make.conf.

Tom

Tom,
     It's gotten excruciatingly more complex with the introduction of Python,
classes, and an increase in USE flags.
-Garrett