Hi, Julian -

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 11:03 AM, Julian Elischer <jul...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> it was never "ignore errors" It's "ignore a certain class of error".
>
> table 3 add 1.1.1.1
>>> table 3 add 1.1.1.1       <- no error.. this is what I want..

I'm wondering if it shouldn't be atomically idempotent, or...

On a public-facing machine, I throttle all traffic until I get a successful
auth event, and then add an IP to a table containing a whitelist, which
bypasses the restrictive pipes.  With a time_t value denoting when it was
added.  It would be nice if it simply replaced the arg value

table 3 add 1.1.1.1     1525547787

   and sometime later

table 3 add 1.1.1.1     1525576587

which I'd like to succeed.  With 11.0+ I can do this atomically with two
tables and swap them, but...

> table 3 swap 21      <--  doesn't quit, but doesn't generate a new

+1 on this. Again, UPSERT semantics instead of DELETE-then-CREATE, or
CREATE.

- M