The way you talked about this at first made me think this was something new,
but its actually
fairly old, its just a quad port 82571, id is 0x10A5, support has been in
the drivers for ages :)

The issue is the hardware not the OS or driver, even if the motherboard is
PCIE 2.0, does it
not have slots that are 1 ?

For server adapters you might consider going 82576 or 82580.

Jack