On Wed, 10 Aug 2022, at 8:46 AM, Ben Woods wrote:

> I agree with the plan also - Import dhcpcd with its dedicated rc.d
> script (build enabled with runtime off by default, but manually enabled
> by dhcpcd_enable=“YES”).
>
> No need to change the rc or network.subr system for now, as dhclient
> and rtsold are already off by default (or if enabled by default will be
> possible to disable in rc.conf).
>
> No need to have plans to remove dhclient/rtsold now - let’s give people
> the option for now, with no plan to necessarily remove dhclient/rtsold.
>
> Hiroki - I’ll update my phabricator review to align with the above.
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>
> --
> From: Ben Woods
> woods...@freebsd.org

Ok, I believe I now have this in a state which is ready to land in FreeBSD, and
would welcome any comments before doing so.

Also, as previously mentioned, I have a ports commit bit, so would need a src
committer to approve me committing or commit on my behalf.

I have 2 differential reviews for this:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D36196 - Create vendor branch vendor/dhcpcd

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D22012 - Import dhcpcd into FreeBSD base

The first review is new, and I’m not sure if it is normal to review vendor
branch creations, but at a minimum I need approval to do so.

The second review has now been updated to remove any changes to rc scripts
other than adding the new
/etc/rc.d/dhcpcd. It is built/installed by default,
but not run by default. Do people think there should be a WITH_DHCPCD build
knob (on by default) to allow it to not be built (e.g. save space on embedded
systems)?

Regards,
Ben

From: Ben Woods