Mike Tancsa wrote:
A somewhat obvious question to some perhaps, but what server application mix on FreeBSD today sees an improvement using 64bit CPUs ?

Databases. Big ones, anyway. Other than that, not much, unless you're running processes which would like to use more than 2GB of RAM.

In my ISP centric world, my big apps are BIND, IMAP/POP3, httpd via apache, SMTP, AV and SPAM scanning, and firewalls/routing. Apart from larger RAM,
why would these benefit from the 64bit world ? Or would they ?

None of these tasks would benefit much from 64-bit computing; many of them might even run faster in 32-bit mode than in 64-bit mode.

--
-Chuck