On Sun, 1 May 2005, Mike Tancsa wrote:

A somewhat obvious question to some perhaps, but what server application mix on FreeBSD today sees an improvement using 64bit CPUs ? In my ISP centric world, my big apps are BIND, IMAP/POP3, httpd via apache, SMTP, AV and SPAM scanning, and firewalls/routing. Apart from larger RAM, why would these benefit from the 64bit world ? Or would they ?

RAM/address space is the big reason. In fact, applications compiled for 64-bits may well run slower than 32-bit ones running on the 64-bit kernel. Note that systems like Solaris default build many programs as 32-bit, since there's no benefit to running ls(1) with a 64-bit address space.

On the other hand, if you need a large memory system, running a 64-bit system will give you better support and utilization than a 32-bit system runing with PAE, at least on FreeBSD.

Robert N M Watson