Alfred Perlstein wrote:
* Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070910 16:32] wrote:
Alfred Perlstein wrote:
Palle,

I really haven't kept pace with Intel versus AMD in a while, my
understanding is that AMD is still the only 64bit game in town.

For a database, the more memory you can get, the better.

I've found many machines with 4 gigs of ram to not be enough to
get decent performance from a database these days.

I would suggest going with AMD and getting a board that can
do at least 8GB if not 16 or even 32GB of ram.

Even with what I've been hearing in this thread about a 20% speed
difference with Intel parts, you will totally be ruined once you
hit the 4GB barrier on your Intel hardware.
That's actually not true, intel came out with their first amd64 clone (which they call "EM64T") something like 3 or 4 years ago. I cannot say from first hand experience but I have heard that their current generation is solidly outperforming amd64.

Actually, what I said was true, it was my understanding that was
wrong. :)

I guess the answer I was trying to say was, go for whatever
gives you room for a lot of RAM.

Yep, that is still good advice.

Kris