> Just curious, but are these results obtained while you are
> overclocking your 2.4ghz CPU to  3.4ghz?  That might be a useful
> datapoint.

Yes they are with the CPU overclocked. I have verified the results
when not overclocked as well (running at stock).

> It also might be useful to know what sort of disks you are using.
> SATA is notoriously bad at parallel access, and compiling is of
> course horribly disk bound to begin with.

I'm sure disk I/O is a factor here. ULE is supposed to provide better
interactiveness during high load (and I/O load), right? Perhaps the
scheduler is being too liberal with time slices for I/O?

Josh