Erik Cederstrand wrote:
Brooks Davis skrev:
On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:41:09AM +0100, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
I finally got around to testing this, and with a combination of mtree comparing md5 hashes, bsdiff compacting changed files and hardlinking unchanged files I get a reduction in size from 256MB to 10MB. Pretty good, and the whole operation only takes a few minutes.

Cool!

I have one peculiarity, though. I install python2.5 into the directory containing the build, and even though the python version has not changed, I still get mismatching md5 sums on every .pyo and .pyc file. Any thoughts on this?

As suggested in other posts, deleting .pyo and .pyc files gets me down to 6MB. Static libraries (.a files) in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib still have mismatching MD5 sums even though no source code change warrants this. Can I do anything about that? Are static libraries even needed anymore?

You may want to look at freebsd-update: I believe it has some smarts to NULL out certain date/time information in files before doing a comparison, so that embedded timestamps don't cause two otherwise identical files to show as different...

At least that is what I recall ... :-)

--Antony