Peter Jeremy wrote:
For an opposing PoV: I often see ports that looks interesting or look
like a possible solution to a problem and will install the port to
have a play.  If it turns out that it's not suitable, I would like to
be able to easily unistall the port and any dependencies it pulled in
that I didn't already have.  Currently, this is a fairly delicate
operation and I usually base it on timestamps within /var/db/pkg.

All of this rather assumes that *everything* is installed from ports.
1) install portXXX which requires SDL, so SDL gets sucked in
2) build thingYYY (which uses configure and only uses SDL if it's already installed - common) manually and install it 3) remove portXXX (which takes SDL away since I didn't add it to KEEPFOREVER not knowing it was a dependency) 4) Six days later my wife calls me at work complaining that thingYYY doesn't work anymore and what did I do to break it?

Surely we are not assuming that everything anyone wants is in the ports system are we?