If thingYYY detects SDL and uses it at configure stage, it should be
recorded in the dependency list.

Agreed, but this situation is not easy to detect with the automated
ports checks that are in place.

Impossible even since we're not using automated tools.

Yes - but since it requires the maintainer to manually determine what
features are automatically detected and enabled, it is something that
is error-prone - the maintainer could easily accidently overlook it.

A maintainer needs to do this anyways.

exists or not, nothing would prevent the user from deinstalling SDL
and break thingYYY otherwise.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to automatically detect this
situation.  This means that we are basically limited to waiting for
people to trip over instances of the problem and report it.

Of course, simply not automatically deinstalling SDL would help out quite a bit. If I decide to remove SDL, all the results of that are my fault. If removing portXXX also removes SDL, I can blame the ports system for removing stuff out from under me.