Since we're already in the mood to discuss FreeBSD ports issues, maybe somebody can clear something up for me.

Several days ago, I submitted a patch for a port I maintain:
ports/156541 "[MAINTAINER] Upgrade lang/gnat-aux to release version and add C++"

Nobody has touched it, but many other PRs after that submission have been assigned, etc. So I have two questions:

1) What's involved with processing a patch from a maintainer? Is it simply a committer commits it on behalf of the maintainer (iow very easy?). Or is it the other end of the spectrum where it has to go through Tinderbox? I would assume the maintainer is trusted and the patch is applied without testing.

2) I have very well aware that people dedicate their own time, etc, and I think that explains why the PRs are getting cherry picked. But seriously, shouldn't there be a policy to process these PRs in order?

I'm sure it's been like this for years, but it doesn't seem like the best approach to me. Or at least the fairest. Maybe if an interesting PR is submitted it will give extra incentive to process the waiting PRs to get to it.

-- John