Nikolas Britton wrote:

I see, do the Intel EMT-64 chips use the amd64 release too? And what
did he mean by "certain programs being unavalable for amd64", what are
the major ones?
There seems to be an IA-64 which I guess is Intel. Only buy AMD chips myself, so I'm a bit hazy on that. I'm sure freebsd.org has the answer somewhere :-)

Major programs include java, and I think, Linux 32-bit compatibility. You can see a complete list of ports which fail to build at http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/ e.g. the ones not building under 5-STABLE for AMD64 are in http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-5-failure.html. Of course, some of those packages just fail to build anywhere! But lack of java and nvidia are big stumblers for many who might otherwise try 64-bit on a desktop. For a pure server, given the time, I'd certainly experiment with 64-bit. Unfortunately, all "my" pure servers run Linux - not through choice :-(

You described 64-bit chips as bleeding edge, but I really don't think they are any more. Dual cores may be bleeding edge and SLI may be bleeding edge, but bog standard 64-bit processors running a 32-bit OS are dead common and usually seem to work. No doubt there are some chipsets/motherboards that are worse than others, but that's the same for any architecture. Buying anything to run FreeBSD well has always been a matter of checking the hardware lists carefully and backing that up with google. 8 months ago I had no trouble finding an AMD 939 64 bit motherboard that would work well with FreeBSD.

--Alex