On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 01:57 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

You may have accidentally overwritten X.  However, it could also be that
this file is very ancient, and doesn't properly reflect what's going on
now.  If you've found you've messed up X, you should remove all XFree86
packages, then reinstall the XFree86-4 meta-port.

Joe
I'm beginning to suspect my XFree86 install is toast. My man pages say 3.3.6. I think I had 3.3.6 installed from the original FreeBSD 4.3 or something like that, and somehow didn't fully remove it. When I do

cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
sudo make deinstall

it says the port isn't installed. However, I don't have XFree86-4 installed either, and my XFree86 man pages say 3.3.6, so clearly 3.3.6 didn't get deinstalled and is still half-working.

Is there a way to say, "deinstall the files that would be installed if this port was installed?" Or, would it be best to install /usr/ports/x11/XFree86, and then deinstall it?

I'm pretty sure if I can get 3.3.6 totally gone, and then install /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4, I'm going to be set. Sorry to be bringing such a fubar'd system to you!

--
Mark Edwards
Engineer