On Feb 7, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Polytropon wrote:

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 13:28:46 -0500, Akenner <slackwarew...@comcast.net> wrote:

In order to play an audio CD, you can utilize the cdcontrol command
included in the base system:

        % cdcontrol play

Refer to "man cdcontrol" for further options and eventually how to
specify the CD device (if needed).

One thing that I don't think I've read but personally encountered. When using cdcontrol, it seems to tell the cd-rom drive to play the disc so it's not really done in software. If the audio cable from the cd-rom drive is not connected to the motherboard you won't get sound. For the vast majority of users this is a non-issue, but it be confusing to figure out.