Seems like someone else got their question answered, but I was able to make use of the tips that were provided. win-win. Thanks for the pointers.

By process of elimination (swap cables, swap ports, try different host pairs) I was able to discover that a single server on my home LAN was getting about 1.6% performance compared to other servers getting 94% performance using the 'dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1 | nc servername 2000' technique. netstat -I on the errant server reports no errors.

What would be the next step to figuring out why this host's network performance is slow?

Regards,
Jason C. Wells