On 08/08/10 22:10, per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:
"Jason C. Wells"<j...@speakeasy.net>  wrote:
By process of elimination (swap cables, swap ports, try different
host pairs) I was able to discover that a single server on my home
LAN was getting about 1.6% performance compared to other servers
getting 94%
What would be the next step to figuring out why this host's network
performance is slow?
My next step would be to check whether this host and its hub/switch
port agree on speed and duplex -- occasionally some combination
of netcard phy and switch type gets the negotiation wrong.  Duplex
mismatch, in particular, can have huge performance impact.

I needed a windows utility to connect to my switch. Instead I just added a realtek NIC to my server to replace the Marvell on-board NIC. After this, network load using 'nc' to pipe 1MiB gives 98% transfer rate. Even though I don't know what the problem was, I consider the problem solved. Thanks.

Jason