On 9/9/2010 12:24 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
I want to make it so every file is a seperate symlink in dir2 if and
only if it is a regular file (not a dir) in dir1... the reason is if
the file is unchanged then use symlink but I can rm the symlink and
replace it with a non-symlink:

To show the problem I am attempting to solve:

foo: (owned by fred)
     arf:
        ack

in barney's account:

ln -s ~foo/ foo
rm foo/arf/ack    # Permissioin denied ... it should nuke the symlink
and let me then do something like "touch foo/arf/ack

This should give you at least a good start:

find foo/ \( -type d -exec mkdir -p copy/'{}' \; \) -o \( -type f -exec ln -s '{}' copy/'{}' \; \)

That'll copy directory foo into copy/foo and the rest is fine. You'll have to tweak the rest as you need but it'll get you started.