Samuel Magnusson wrote 2011-11-09 12:06:

Now I'm curious:

Is it then so that in the "new style" Xorg the XML-method will override HAL, and this is the new default way of providing opitons that formerly were in the InputDevice sections in xorg.conf?

And should HAL have discovered my swedish keyboard automatically in the first place, so there was something going wrong there?

Well don't bother answering, because I understand it from reading the handbook. It is clear to me now, it was just to much new info for my brain to handle earlier.. :)

Now my original questions 3-4 still remain unsolved.

This works for me:
X :0 -terminate
Ctrl-Alt-F1
xterm -display :0
Ctrl-Alt-F9
exit xterm.. which brings me back to the first console.

But this doesn't work:
X :0 -terminate vt4
Ctrl-Alt-F1 (doesn't respond)
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (doesn't respond)

ssh-login from my laptop works so I can start a "xterm -display :0" from there. But even if I can focus the xterm-window with the mouse the keyboard doesn't respond so I can't write any commands. If I kill -9 the X server and the login process on vt4 the processes disappears from the list but I am still not taken back to vt0 and the system hangs except for my ssh-login that still works. I have to shutdown or reboot from there.
Any clue why? Is my command "X :0 vt4" wrong or not supposed to work?