On 4/16/20 1:57 PM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
Chuck Tuffli wrote on 04/16/2020 22:29:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:30 PM Miroslav Lachman <000.f...@quip.cz> wrote:

Pete Wright wrote on 04/16/2020 20:23:

On 4/16/20 11:12 AM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
Kurt Jaeger wrote on 04/16/2020 20:07:

I would try booting via UEFI if you can.  I just installed a laptop
yesterday which has a nvme root device, it was detected by the 12-STABLE snapshot I used to boot from.  no other modifications were necessary on
my end.

I changed BIOS settings to use UEFI boot method, booted 12.1 installer
ISO but without luck. Still no NVME disks :(

You can see it on printscreen from iDRAC https://ibb.co/tPnymL7

Anything more I can test?

Fair warning, I don't deal much with Dell, but it's curious that iDrac
lists the device protocol as MI
Device Protocol:      NVMe-MI1.0

MI or the Management Interface is defined by NVMe, but it isn't the
same as a block interface. MI typically uses SMBUS and not PCIe to
communicate with the device. So it's possible that the device is
visible to iDrac via SMBUS but may not be on the PCIe bus for
$reasons. Does iDrac have any tools to interact with the device via
MI?

iDRAC does not allow me to do anything with the drives.
But I booted Linux SystemRescueCd and nvme devices are there visible in /dev/
printscreen https://ibb.co/sj22Nwg

So I think the HW is OK, but FreeBSD does not recognize the controller?

might be interesting to see what the dmesg buffer and lspci output for this device is under linux.  that should give pointers to how the device is being presented to the kernel.

-p

--
Pete Wright
p...@nomadlogic.org