Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Justin W. Pauler wrote:
> > I've heard tell that there are problems with the VIA chipset and UDMA on
> > FreeBSD. Is this true, and if so, what is the problem with?
>
> Hmm, there are no open problems as far as I'm aware...
>
> > FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Fri Dec  8 01:52:44 EST 2000
> > CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (601.37-MHz 686-class CPU)
> >   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x683  Stepping = 3
> > atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA66 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on
> > pci0
> > ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> > ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> > ad0: 19546MB <FUJITSU MPF3204AT> [39714/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
> >
> > The drive has enough space and I have 512MB RAM. If I hit the system hard,
> > lets say, rm -rf /usr/ports, the system locks up. It doesn't just stop
> > responding for a little bit. It locks up tight. It kills all network
> > connections, doesn't respond to the console and doesn't respond to any
> > network activity. A hard reboot is the only thing that can bring it back to
> > life.
> >
> > One time, someone was able to see the console when this happened, and they
> > said something about a page fault. Trying to solve this, we ordered two brand
> > new 256MB modules and installed them. It is still happening.
> >
> > This is a production environment type of server. I've had no other problems
> > with FreeBSD 4.2-S, and i'm hoping maybe this is something that has been
> > fixed.
>
> Hmm, my main devbox is based on the VIA '686 although with an athlon
> CPU, and there is no problems at all with it. I also dont belive that
> this is the disk drivers fault, as in almost all cases you would get
> error messages en-masse from the ATA driver....

I have an Abit KT7 with PC-133 memory and an Athlon 900 that doesn't
like FreeBSD 4.2-stable and Maxtor ATA100 drives. Right now, it is
running in PIO mode and that makes it less than half fast doing a
system build. The first install of FreeBSD resulted in a trashed
Win98se primary partition. There were timing issues in the bios that
were supposed to fix the ATA100 Maxtor drives. The bios was flashed to
include those fixes. I used sysctl and turned UDMA back on last night
and it didn't help the ata-disk. It went back to PIO mode in a hurry.

Kent

> -Søren

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA