"David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:

> I have a KT7 with an athlon 1.1, no problems with ATA66, don't have a 100
> drive though.  Works fine, does make worlds in a little over an hour with
> 384mb of pc133, but I do have to downclock the pc133 to 100 because these
> via chips have some problem with agp and pc133 at the moment.

I'm also running the slow end on the bios memory setting. The wz beta
bios is supposed to deal with some memory timing questions. I have
downloaded wz but haven't flashed the bios yet. I am running uz, which
became w? (their www server is overloaded and can't see what they
called the uz when it was released). Abit is also up to KT7a and 686B.

I have both Maxtor's (30 GB and 40 GB - ATA100's) set to do only UDMA
33 using Maxtor's udmaupdt.exe program. That didn't help FreeBSD.
Windows 2000 didn't have any problems at the UDMA66 setting and just
slowed down a little bit at the UDMA33 setting. I have three other
systems based on the bx chipset that don't have problems doing UDMA33.

If I time my upworld script, I see user times of 18xx seconds and
1.5-1.8 hours wall clock. I figure the difference between doing an
update (cvsup of RELENG_4 to installworld) in 40 minutes wall-clock
and what I have now is disk transfer speed related. Setiathome runs at
~40% cpu in the background (niced to 19). Because it is only using
available cpu time, killing setiathome before I started the builds
didn't change the build time significantly.

I have a Promise ATA66 card that I am going to try but will have to
move one of the HD's and CDROM before the 80-pin cable will reach. The
main drive is all by itself on the ide1 controller.

Kent