On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 03:21:33PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:

> "David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:
> >
> > I have a KT7 with an athlon 1.1, no problems with ATA66, don't have a 100
> > drive though.  Works fine, does make worlds in a little over an hour with
> > 384mb of pc133, but I do have to downclock the pc133 to 100 because these
> > via chips have some problem with agp and pc133 at the moment.
>
> I'm also running the slow end on the bios memory setting. The wz beta
> bios is supposed to deal with some memory timing questions. I have
> downloaded wz but haven't flashed the bios yet. I am running uz, which
> became w? (their www server is overloaded and can't see what they
> called the uz when it was released). Abit is also up to KT7a and 686B.
>
> I have both Maxtor's (30 GB and 40 GB - ATA100's) set to do only UDMA
> 33 using Maxtor's udmaupdt.exe program. That didn't help FreeBSD.
> Windows 2000 didn't have any problems at the UDMA66 setting and just
> slowed down a little bit at the UDMA33 setting. I have three other
> systems based on the bx chipset that don't have problems doing UDMA33.

I also have an AbitKT7 with a Duron 650 and a Western Digital UDMA66 7200 rpm
drive. I have never seen any ata problem on this machine. Yes it runs pc133
memory with the least conservative settings: "turbo" memory, 2 cycles wait
etc. This machine also runs Win98 and Linux and has no problem with any of
these systems. Make buildworld takes an hour. We have received similar
machines at work but with 1.1 Ghz Athlons. Does not make big difference on
speed except on very compute intensive things. Apparently most of the time is
spent accessing memory or the disks.
The only problem this machine had, and only under FreeBSD, is that floppy
formatting did not work. Fortunately, since upgrade to 4.2, this is solved.
Also the loader dies doing lsdev, but this is apparently due to the presence
of a dvdrom.

--
Michel Talon