On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 03:54:32PM -0400, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> Next, the case of the bind and ntpd updates.  Yes, these were fixed
> in -STABLE and -CURRENT very quickly, but were only documented in UPDATING.
> How many people who are running -RELEASE have this?  That's right, none.  If
> the "current release" box had an "Newsflash" or other such link to inform
> users of 1) critical bugs that exist in the current release, and 2) HOWTOs
> that show how to fix them, then a lot of the confusion surrounding these
> fixes would be resolved.

That's the "Errata" link.  Suggestions for alternative text welcome.
Note that the NTP bug hasn't had an advisory released yet (presumably
because the security are busy working on it at the moment).

> Finally, almost every newbie I see asking a question asks "how can I do this
> on FreeBSD, and where is the HOWTO- to help me?"  Most often these people
> are redirected to offsite repositories of information,  rather than the
> documentation included with FreeBSD.  IMHO, this contributes to the
> degradation of the existing documentation of FreeBSD, as more effort will go
> into updating third-party sources.

Which sources.  I am *very* interested in bringing more documentation in
to the tree -- for example, I've been trying to get in touch with Dan
who runs www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ to get them in to the tree,
but so far, no response.

Anyone that wants to submit documentation to the FreeBSD project is
encouraged to do so.  It's also a pretty fast track to becoming a
committer.

As ever, it's "rough consensus and working code" (or documentation, in
this instance).  Comments such as "The FAQ sucks" don't work.  PRs that
say "The FAQ sucks, because it doesn't answer this question, here's a
patch ready to go" get looked at much more rapidly.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

PGP signature