Rob wrote:

Hi guys,

This is the first post I have seen on stable about SATA. (ok, maybe I'm not subscribed to the right lists) Anyway I bought a brand new beautiful Plextor DVD+RW SATA drive (PX712SA) for use on my AMD64+3800 machine. Win XP64-beta won't recognize it, and neither will FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, AMD64. I am wondering what I am doing wrong? If you are willing to help just email me and I can send dmesg and/or kernel config file to you and keep it off the list. I am using the socket 939 chip on an Abit AV8 mobo. Only one of the two SATA channels is used. I have two SCSI 160 drives, one for Windoze and one for FBSD. So the only thing normal IDE is used for is the floppy drive.

SATA ATAPI devices are not supported yet.

There are a few gotcha's though. Not all SATA controllers does support SATA ATAPI even if out driver would, so its a mixed blessing for now.
Anyhow, as soon as I can get my hands on a SATA ATAPI device, be certain that I'll get support in there, for those controllers that support it that is. However SATA ATAPI devices are still extremely rare, at least in this part of the woods...

--

-Søren