Brett Wildermoth wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:18 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wednesday 13 July 2005 10:26 am, Kenneth Culver wrote:
Quoting Brett Wildermoth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
To all my fellow FreeBSD users,

I assume I am not the only one who is in this predicament. I have just
bought seven AMD 64s with NVIDIA PCI-X graphics. With 5.4 I can get
everything bar the network and X to work, with 6.0 I can get the
network to work also. However no matter what I do I can't get X to
work.

Why doesn't NVIDIA make a graphics driver for FreeBSD AMD64. They
make one for
Linux x86-64 and one for FreeBSD-x86.

Perhaps would could all post a message on nvforum. I see some people
already have.....

Perhaps NVIDIA think FreeBSD is just a hobby OS......
Last I heard, nvidia had no plans to make a FreeBSD amd64 driver. Just
post that
you're pissed about it like the rest of us are... maybe they'll
reconsider.
Not true.  FreeBSD's kernel doesn't provide some things needed for an amd64
driver to be feasible.

Like what???? what are these features? and if they are really important why aren't they on the cards to be included into FreeBSD......

I think this has come up before (multiple times...almost a FAQ-candidate IMO). AFAICR, the changes are not in CURRENT, yet, but there are plans to integrate them in the future.

Can't you just run those AMD-boxes in i386-mode, for the time being?

BTW: wouldn't it be good to note things like these in the "errata"-section in the handbook? The port itself is marked as "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386". But usually, by the time one reaches that stage, the hardware has already been bought ;-)

Do all other Xorg-drivers work on AMD64?

cheers,
Rainer