On 14 Jul 2005, at 11:06, Brett Wildermoth wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:07 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 22:43, Brett Wildermoth wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:18 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 10:26 am, Kenneth Culver wrote:

Quoting Brett Wildermoth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

To all my fellow FreeBSD users,

I assume I am not the only one who is in this predicament. I
have just bought seven AMD 64s with NVIDIA PCI-X graphics. With
5.4 I can get everything bar the network and X to work, with
6.0 I can get the network to work also. However no matter what
I do I can't get X to work.

Why doesn't NVIDIA make a graphics driver for FreeBSD AMD64.
They make one for
Linux x86-64 and one for FreeBSD-x86.

Perhaps would could all post a message on nvforum. I see some
people already have.....

Perhaps NVIDIA think FreeBSD is just a hobby OS......

Last I heard, nvidia had no plans to make a FreeBSD amd64 driver.
Just post that
you're pissed about it like the rest of us are... maybe they'll
reconsider.

Not true.  FreeBSD's kernel doesn't provide some things needed for
an amd64 driver to be feasible.

Like what???? what are these features? and if they are really
important why aren't they on the cards to be included into
FreeBSD......

There are a few missing VM features that any high-performance graphics card driver would require for decent performance with PCI Express. John
is working on adding those features - have patience.

I guess these feature are provided in FreeBSD x86, as a NVIDIA graphics driver is available for FreeBSD x86. Is FreeBSD x86-64 VM subsystem different to
FreeBSD x86. Is the VM subsystem that low-level?????

(Pardon my ignorance, have quite got around to reading the FreeBSD kernel book
the publisher comped me yet)

Actually I think that the feature we are talking about (PAT) is relevant to both amd64 and i386. Proper support for PAT is required for decent PCI Express performance, as I understand it.