On Sep 13, 2005, at 11:59 PM, Uwe Doering wrote:

Now, for security reasons jails normally are confined in separate filesystems, or at least in separate parts of a common one. So in case of MySQL you would have to use TCP sockets to communicate between jails. This socket type typically consumes more CPU because of TCP's protocol overhead. However, whether you would actually notice any difference in speed basically depends on how much excess CPU power there is available on that server.

Ignoring security (or filesystem namespace issues) I will just note that using named sockets for local IPC is a Good Thing. When I worked at Messaging Direct I taught sendmail to speak LMTP over named sockets, and our local delivery rate (to our IMAP server) went up by a factor of 10.

It would be really cool if we could figure out a way to do AF_UNIX between jails, but I confess to not having thought about any of the implications ... (Maybe netgraph can help here?)

--lyndon