On 14/09/2005, at 4:59 PM, Uwe Doering wrote:
So in case of MySQL you would have to use TCP sockets to communicate between jails. This socket type typically consumes more CPU because of TCP's protocol overhead. However, whether you would actually notice any difference in speed basically depends on how much excess CPU power there is available on that server.

The result of running these sort of connections over TCP rather than a UNIX domain connection are far more dramatic than this would indicate. When I wrote mSQL and added UNIX domain sockets as a connection option I was able to produce a 10 fold increase in query processing rates for basic queries. If there's a high and constant rate of queries then doing it over a TCP connection is not going to win you any friends.

David