On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Brandon Fosdick wrote:

Robert Watson wrote:
There are several ways you can do it, but they generally fall into two
classes of activies:

(1) Modifying the name space exclusion assumption for jails, so that the
    file system name spaces overlap.  One way to do this is with nullfs.

(2) Having a daemon or tool that runs outside of the jail and brokers
    communication between the jails.  One example might be a daemon that
    inserts a UNIX domain socket into both jails and then provides
    references to shared IPC objects between the two "by request".
    Another example might be a daemon or tool that responds to a request
    and creates a hard link from a socket/fifo endpoint visible in one
    jail to a name visible in another jail, perhaps when setting up the
    jail.  The former requires more infrastructure, but the latter is less
    flexible.

The jail(8) man page says that if the MIB security.jail.sysvipc_allowed=1 processes inside a jail can use IPC to talk to stuff in other jails. How does that affect mysql in a jail? Do I need this enabled to run mysql?

Last I checked, MySQL used solely TCP and UNIX domain sockets for communication, and not System V IPC. I believe PostgreSQL, however, used System V IPC.

Robert N M Watson