On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:29 PM, Ed Maste wrote:

Probably the "best" way is now -S in boot.config, since it means that
you don't have to recompile and you only have to change it in one
place.

I'm not having any luck getting my 115200 baud serial console back. The machine was upgraded from 5.4-STABLE to 6.1-PRE last week, and again over the weekend. I did the following:

make buildworld and buildkernel with BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=115200 in / etc/make.conf, options CONSPEED=115200 in the kernel config.

make installkernel, reboot, yada yada yada, installworld,.. then boot0cfg -B aacd0 to update the boot blocks.

Now, at this point I expected to have a 115200 console on the next boot. Nope. Got 9600 baud again.

The other side-effect is now I get this stupid "Boot F1 for DOS and F2 for FreeBSD" menu which defaults to DOS (which is the Dell utility partition). How do I get back to the original boot style where it just boots freebsd without any menu?

So I updated my /boot.config to read:

 -Dh -S115200

now on boot, the boot0 drops to the prompt and makes me type in "/ boot/loader" to continue the process. It is as if it forgot what file to load, and ignores the -S option anyhow, because I still end up with a 9600 baud console.

I ran out of time to try setting the speed in /boot/loader.conf but I'm not expecting any miracles.