Pete French wrote:
 > [...]
 > Any suggestions ? I assume it has something to do with the NAT, but I am
 > not sure what. All other TCP connections out from that machine to
 > external systems work fine, so it is not as if outbound connections from
 > there are not working at all.

Note that NTP does not use TCP, but UDP.  Are you sure that
your filter rules are OK?  It's certainly possible to have
a bug in the rule set so it forwards NTP replies for the
internal clients, but doesn't allow them to reach the ntpd
running on the machine itself.

Another question:  Do you have a dynamically assigned IP
address?  In that case ntpd needs to be restarted when a
new address is assigned, because ntpd has the unfortunate
habit to bind to all addresses that exist at the time it
is started.

I'm running ntpd on a NAT gateway myself (RELENG_6), and
there are no problems at all.

Best regards
   Oliver