Hi

Robert Watson wrote:
Evidence in-hand seems to suggest that 8 core systems work very well for most users, and reflect a significant performance increase with 7.0 over previous FreeBSD releases.
I disagree with that. Heavily loaded Apache, MySQL, Postgres does not work well.

The right path forwawrd at this point is to diagnosis the problems and work on fixing them in 8-CURRENT, and assuming they are not highly disruptive, MFC them for FreeBSD 7.1.

I believe at least the bug with lockmgr contention should be fixed before release.
Could you point me at the specific proposed change in question? I don't think I've seen it come across re@ as a potential merge request. Changing locking primitives close to a release is, FYI, a risky business, as while it may improve performance in specific cases, we may not have a lot of information about more general cases. We also risk opening up previously nascent race conditions in lock consumers.
Kris sent me proof of concept patch that helped much against high lockmgr contention. After applying this patch 8-core server become faster that 4-core. But, again, it's still slower than Linux.

Here's the patch:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038449.html

Here's Kris saying that it helps:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038672.html

I'm not sure it will help to MySQL and Prostgres, but symptoms are mostly
identical.

With best regards,
Alexey Popov