On Mar 13, 2008, at 4:57 PM, David Schutt wrote:

Johan Ström wrote:
On Mar 13, 2008, at 1:01 AM, Sean Winn wrote:
For using HP blades and standard iLO (no licensed advance features), it works perfectly well, installing both FreeBSD 5 and 6 on the blades I've tried, using a remote install CD from the Java applet (there's one for remote devices like disks, and one for remote console); there's only text mode but that's plenty to install the OS and enable it to the point of using SSH to manage it from there on in. I'd hope the iLO hardware/software is relatively common to all the HP range :)

text mode access continues at all times - the iLO interface is just a remote screen/keyboard onto it, even POST BIOS boot. The external devices are USB mass storage ones, but I didn't have problems booting off the CD and installing it for 6.2.
Well.. The blades seems to be an exception:
• iLO 2 Standard Blade Edition (unlicensed blade server):
o Remote Console and IRC
This is not listed under "iLO 2 Standard (unlicensed:)"... I guess that means I'm out of luck unless I want to bang up another $400 (listing price).. Which I'd rather not :) Anyone running those 360G5's using serial console on a normal licensed iLO?

Yes. We have one DL360 G5, and I was able to get serial console working using information I found in this thread --

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-proliant/2007-October/000303.html

Only downside is that the physical COM1 becomes unavailable, which caused some consternation when trying to monitor a UPS :-)

That is probably not a big deal for me. Then I guess this should work fine.. I've just played around some on 7.0 with serial console on a regular port (not HP box though), and it seems to work fine.

From what I could tell i can just SSH to iLO and enter 'vps' and I get the serial port, and that this works very good (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-proliant/2007-August/000292.html ). If anyone thinks opposite, I'd appreciate a line. :)