On Jun 6, 2008, at 11:41 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
As said before, the reason FreeBSD isn't supporting older 6.x releases
anymore is because there's just no manpower to do so.

Which is what I was asking about. I've asked the questions more specifically since they apparently weren't phrased well the first time. It would be great to hear answers to those questions.

I still don't think you get it. FreeBSD is a community. A community
works when enough people contribute positively towards furthering the
goals of the project. Jo is a user. He sounds like he is using it in
some reasonably critical and money-earning roles. Jo can participate
by testing stuff on test hardware, reporting back issues and working
with the community.

Which I do. If you check out my bug reports they almost always include patches.

I've also added freebsd support to many projects, including full package management in the latest versions of cfengine.

Bitching about there being no long-term support
for releases isn't constructive. Some developer comments may not be
constructive either, but this is a -community project-. Join the
-community- and help out.

Am I missing an ID card?  Where should I go to acquire one?

When there is a specific issue I can help with, I do. In this case I was asking about the justification for dropping support so quickly.

It doesn't matter if running a long-term support project would be
beneficial for a certain subset of the userbase, its a losing
situation to cater to them unless they somehow contribute back to the
community.

I work on bugs for things I can help with. I add freebsd support to various projects. I test and report bugs on new releases. I spend at least 10% (and sometimes more) of my paid $EMPLOYER's time working on freebsd things, and countless hours of unpaid time. I don't know that I can do any more than this.

--
Jo Rhett