On Sep 18, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
On Sep 18, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Robert Watson wrote:
Let's consider three more productive avenues by which you can offer assistance with the problem of how to increase branch support lifetimes:

(1) Become a contributor to the community by developing and maintaining patches against unsupported branches, especially against older releases such as 4.x and 5.x where the branches are open for commits but have
   fallen out of support status.  I can't promise the results will

We have no 4.x or 5.x systems nor do we have any interest in maintaining those. So perhaps a good idea, but not something I can help with.

I *did* offer to work on maintenance for 6.2, but was told it would be rejected by the developers. Would I extend effort to do exactly what I am talking about -- extending the support lifetime for very recent releases? Absolutely. If its in a form useful for the community as a whole.

Are you seriously insisting that a minor release should be supported for more than a year? I think that's pretty exceptional already for any piece of software, and yet you want to extend that?

I don't know what your line of work demands, but maybe you're not as constrained as you think you are? The support lifetime of FreeBSD 6 (the major release) is estimated to be up to somewhere in 2010, according to the release information, which seems to satisfy your needs.

To me this is a rhetorical question only, I have no way to apply any answers I get to these questions. I'm not involved in the FreeBSD project or in your line of work, I'm just a humble user and supporter.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:74,48d2afa510139919116692!