On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 02:47:35 +0900, Marko Lindqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> 2008/6/6 Madeline Book:
>> What might be nice is to release 2.1.5 so it can be used
>> for the first 2.1.x longturn game (which will probably start in a week
>> or two),
>
>  Then I suggest that we postpone 2.1.5 one week, if that's possible
> for Daniel. I should have time for looking into the gcc 4.3 problem
> early next week.

I'm of course open to postponing any release in the case there are
showstoppers.

Is Jason's patch in PR#40258 taking care of all errors you've seen, Marko?

>> I don't know much at all about the gcc bug (actually I had 4.3 installed
>> a while ago, but since I had some problems not just with freeciv I am
>> now using 3.4.6).
>
>  I only noticed these problems when compiling Freeciv for Ubuntu
> Intrepid (pre-alpha distribution), which uses gcc 4.3.1 release
> candidate.
>
>  See http://vcust127.louhi.net/freeciv/testing/compilation.php
>

>> Since I don't know how much hassle it is to make a full release for
>> freeciv I would tend to support more releases more often. Since then
>> the program can be advertised on various sites and users can have
>> the feeling that progress is being made. ;)
>
>  Major releases: I definitely agree. Currently new features
> implemented immediately after branching live years in our svn before
> they are in any release = really used.
>  Minor releases: S2_1 is already quite mature, just occasional minor
> fixes go in. No point in making releases identical to previous one :-)

I believe that it's worth making maintenance releases as soon as there are
any crash/memory leak/security fixes.

>  I'll be away until Monday.
>

>  - ML

BTW, I just remembered PR#40250 is a blocker for me making the release.