> I take it the difference between the two systems (property
> that one player can know the extra and the other not) is
> important to you?
Absolutely -- I think it's vital for certain rulesets involving strategic
resources.
You don't even know where to look for oil until you have appropriate tech, so
you can't spend the entire game from the bronze age defending territory with
oil because you know it'll be useful in 2000 years; and you can befriend
someone with higher tech and get their map to find it (or maybe steal their
map).
(CivIV has this notion, don't know about previous versions.)